Thursday, February 20, 2014

Your Auditory Environment of the Week

99% Invisible
A Tiny Radio Show About Design

Today's Y.E.O.W. is more about your ears than your eyes. 99% Invisible is one of my favorite podcasts and I'd like to share it with you this morning. There are just over one hundred episodes on a multitude of design ideas, not just buildings but anything that is designed... aka everything is fair game.  I've compiled some of my favorite episodes which are not strictly architectural for your listening pleasure: the No Armed Bandit, Future Screens (and the effect science fiction has on them) and Razzle Dazzle (saved my favorite for last on this list).

There are also amazing episodes about buildings and cities, from the mundane to the amazing.  I'll throw out just a few of my favorites:


At the City Scale: Reversal of Fortune 

The story of the city of Chicago and everything its people have accomplished in order to thrive.

No big deal, that's a city block they're casually raising into the air.

At the Building Scale: Higher and Higher

A chronicle of the Chrysler Building's epic battle against the Manhattan Company Building for dominance over the New York skyline.

Do you have any idea how that spire was built?

And finally at ground level: Revolving Doors

A short history of the revolving door and a few attempts at getting them into use today.

Maybe we can start printing these as a public service.


The best part about the show is that it's 100% free!  You can download episodes to your smartphone, via the podcast app (for Apple at least, I have no idea how Androids work) or listen online at the links I've posted.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment